It is a day of fun, eating, and overall overindulgence. There are massive parades, masked masquerade balls, elaborate floats and a combination of masks, music and mayhem. Many people think that they know what Mardi Gras is all about but we offer of up things that you might not know about Mardi Gras.
1) Mardi Gras has been known by many names including, Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Day, Laissez les bons hemp rouler, Martex de Carnaval, Fastan, J'Douvert, Karenava and many more names.
2) The day of the holiday always falls upon the last Tuesday before Ash Wednesday.
3) Louisiana was actually not the first state to hold a Mardi Gras parade. That distinction belongs to Mobile Alabama.
4) The first parade held in New Orleans was in 1837.
5) Most parades are coordinated by small clubs call "krewes" that come together to put together elaborate floats.
6) The tradition of the colorful beads actually started in the early 1900's
7) Some states require by law that any float riders are required to wear masks.
8) The man to first add Mardi Gras to the calendar was Pope Gregory XIII.
9) Purple, Gold, and Green are the offial colors of the holiday each with a symbolic meaning. Purple=Justice Gold=Power Green=Faith
10)The little toy coins found around the holiday are called "doubloons" and "King Cake" is eaten all throughout the carnival season. King cake has a little surprise hidden within usually a little figurine. Finding this in your cake is supposed to bring you good luck for the next year.